To keep your blender happy and ensure a smooth product, you generally want to insert ingredients in the following order:
- Liquids first (water and milks)
- Powders (protein, sweeteners, spices)
- Soft stuff (nut butters, tofu)
- Fresh fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds
- Anything frozen
- After adding greens, you might want to pulse to make some room, since greens can take up a lot of real estate in the blender before they get chopped up.
- Additionally, if you have a standard blender, as opposed to something like a Vitamix, you will probably want to let frozen fruit and veg defrost for about ten minutes. Smaller pieces will also be easier to handle for any blender.
- Finally, if you find that the blades are not turning smoothly, try rummaging the ingredients around with a spoon. Add small amounts of liquid until the blades spin efficiently enough to form a homogenous mixture.
*For this recipe, we used Garden of Life's Organic, Grass Fed, Vanilla Whey Protein. (We have no financial relationship with Garden of Life)
Awesome stuff about blackberries
Blackberries may help in our fight to prevent diabetes. Blackberries are an abundant source of flavonoids known as anthocyanins. Anthocyanins are natural pigments that are largely responsible for the rich dark color of blackberries. These flavonoids may lessen spikes in blood sugar, especially if consumed before a meal, and high intake of anthocyanins is associated with greater insulin sensitivity and reduced inflammation throughout the body.
Awesome stuff about collagen
Collagen may help keep your skin youthful and healthy. Collagen production declines with age, which is why some studies have investigated replacement using supplements. Randomized controlled trials testing eight weeks of supplementation with collagen hydrolysate have found increases in skin elasticity, and reductions in visible skin wrinkles.
- Blackberries 1 cup
- Cashews 1/4 cup
- Spinach 2 cup
- Almond Milk 2 cup
- Whey Protein 2 scoop ~11 grams of protein per scoop
- Collagen 1 tbsp
- Acacia Fiber 1 tbsp